‘Some offerings are more left field than others. Ashdown, one of Britain’s last remaining passementerie-makers has created vividly hued woven designs that are nevertheless at home within textile tradition’ Crafts Magazine Jan/Feb 2020 issue.
Silk yarns, hand dyed in a range of vibrant and bold colours are intricately combined with hand-spun cords to create contemporary woven artworks that keep the eye entertained through continuous linear forms and movement. Elizabeth is fascinated by the interaction of heritage woven techniques, colour, material, texture and pattern. She frequently works to commission and has created work for clients across the world. Please do get in touch if you would like to discuss a potential artwork.
Elizabeth makes one-off and bespoke hand woven artworks using her signature hand Passementerie techniques. Exploring complex, bold patterns and contrasting colour palettes, she creates unique and distinctive textile works for residential, commercial and private clients. Elizabeth's work can be hung directly on the wall, framed behind glass or pressed between perspex to create room dividers, screen and art objects.
For inspiration, Elizabeth frequently looks to the work of outsider artists such as Arthur Bispo do Rosário and The Original Rhinestone Cowboy whose work bursts with hidden meanings. Both of these artists created fantastical costumes and tactile, textural artefacts as part of their ‘mission’ to create an alternative reality. Elizabeth combines aspects of this inspiration with her drawings from imagination and her research into traditional Passementerie designs.
Elizabeth's work is regularly featured in publications such as Selvedge, Crafts Magazine, Homes & Gardens, Living ETC, and Ateliers d'Art.
- International Kogei Award - Toyama Prefecture - March 2021
Selected past exhibitions:
- Over Under : Under Over - Royal Scottish Academy, Upper Galleries, 22nd December 2018 - 30th January 2020
- London Art Fair - Business Design Centre, London, January 22nd - 26th 2020
- Carter Preston Award 2018 - The Bluecoat Display Centre, Liverpool.
- The Society of Designer Craftsman Winter Show 2015, London.
- Unexpected Outcomes 2014 - Crafts Study Centre Shop, Farnham.
- Craft Emergency 2014 - Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth.
- Rising Stars 2014 - New Ashgate Gallery, Smiths Row, Milton Keynes Arts Centre.
- International Kogei Award 2021 (shortlisted)
- Jerwood Makers Open 2021 (shortlisted)
- Arts Foundation Futures Award - Materials Innovation (nominated)
- Liberty Art Fabrics Pattern Prize (shortlisted)